Friday, September 30, 2011

Photographers vs. Faux-tographers

I have seen so many faux-tographers popping up...aka "Guy/Gal with a Camera". Their shots are so-so. I am not saying I'm a professional by any means. But when the subject of the picture is poorly focused or the exposure is completely "eew! What the--?" and their photo-editing software is completely free on the internet...It kind of upsets those that are truly enthusiastic and passionate about the art of photography. As a photographer, you are constantly learning. You should keep WANTING to expand your horizons; shoot out of your comfort zone! I am always looking to challenge myself. I like posting my work and asking people, "How does this image make you feel?" I want to be a photographer that has the ability to evoke emotions. The only emotions that faux-tographers evoke are irritability and frustration.


I have been facebook stalking a few photographers. A few are continually showing improvement with every session they post and I'm praising their work or sharing a piece of advice a photographer has given me. I know that facebook doesn't exactly post photographs as they truly are. They usually come out more "noisy". But even then, focus doesn't change much with facebook uploads! I have seen  a few of these people show such beautiful potential and those are the photographers I don't mind. The ones that irritate me are the ones that charge anything over $30 and their shots are crap. Complete crap. Curse you faux-tographers!


A few of  these faux-tographer's clients have emailed me and asked what I charge for the Semper Eye Experience. It always makes me happy when they say, "your work is beautiful AND affordable! Wish we found you sooner!" I take it as a compliment.


Let me repeat, I am not calling myself a professional photographer by any means; but just as I am the first to knock myself down when I don't get the shot as I had aimed for, I am the first to tell myself when I am truly proud of a shot.


I have noticed that most professional photographers are very supportive of less-experienced photography enthusiasts like me picking up a camera and shooting. Then the ones that are taking those crap-shots are the first to shun/snub me. I have had the privilege of having several professional photographers to ask advice from and to critique my work. They are always teaching me something new and I appreciate them all.


To quote one of my many photography mentors: "True photographers see the beauty and potential in everything. Faux-tographers just feel threatened. To photographers, it's all for the love of the arts!" 


Have a wonderful Friday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment